Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ask the right questions

photo by ryel j

One of the many perks of hiring a wedding planner or coordinator is that you are hiring someone who is a Professional. Someone who has planned weddings and events over and over, has seen some pretty complicated problems, who has fixed those problems and now knows how to avoid such complicated matters! With that being said, there a some very important and complex questions that need to be asked when searching for a reception site. Here are a few that I have in a spreadsheet that I share with all of my brides and now I am sharing with you!
  • Do I have to go with your caterer or can I bring in my own?
  • How many people are you able to accomodate?
  • What is the price for renting the venue?
  • What is the price for food & beverage?
  • Do you have a food & beverage minimum?
  • What is your service charge?
  • Do you apply tax?
  • Are there any other fees?
  • How long do I have the venue?
  • What is the charge for extra hours?
  • Will there be other weddings on the same day as mine?
  • How early can my vendors arrive to setup?
  • Does this venue come with a bridal room to get ready?
  • Does this venue come with a grooms room to get ready?
  • Does this venue come with a room for the bride and groom the night of the wedding?
  • What is the parking situation?
  • Do you offer valet parking?
  • Where are the bathrooms located?
  • Are there enough bathrooms for my guest count or do I need to rent more?
  • What are the restrictions for decor (can i stick things in the ground, hang things from trees, light candles...)?
  • Do you have security at the event?
  • Does this venue come with a facility coordinator?
  • What are the sound restrictions?
  • Are there adequate electrical outlets?
  • Are we able to have live music?
  • Does this venue come with tables and chairs?
  • What kind of tables and chairs?
  • Are there any discounts for specific days or months?
  • Is there adequate lighting for night events?
  • Is the venue handicapped accessible?
  • Am I able to bring in my own vendors or must I use your approved listings?
  • What is the deposit required and is it refundable?
  • If anything is broken or visibly unappealing, will it be fixed before the event?
  • If the venue does come with a coordinator, what does this person offer?
  • Are there extra charges for coordinator upgrades?
  • How long do we have to cleanup after the event?
  • Are you willing to hold rental items for pickup on Monday?
  • If the venue is an outdoor venue, what is your policy for rainy events?
  • Is there an indoor option?
  • Where will the cocktail hour take place?
  • Are there additional rental charges for a dance floor or altar?
  • What are the smoking rules?
  • Does the site hold a liquour license or must I bring in my own?
  • Is there a kitchen area for the caterer?
  • Is a fire permit required? If so, who do I contact to acquire it?
  • Does the site require me to purchase liability insurance? Do my vendors need to carry insurance? If so, which ones and for what amount?
  • Does the site require my vendors to sign any sort of waiver or list of restrictions?
  • Does the trash get hauled off at the end of the event or am I responsible for that?

No comments: